[CentOS] RHEL 7.3 released

Fri Nov 4 14:15:28 UTC 2016
Mark Haney <mark.haney at vifprogram.com>

That's all well and good, but how about you actually include the minor
number AND the release date?  I.e. 7.3-1104 for CentOS 7.3 released today,
for example.   I'm all for the SIGs to keep track of their own upstreams,
but surely there's a better way to do this that doesn't annoy the heck out
of us Joe-Blows out here.  A lot of us don't have the time (or inclination)
to deal with oddball version discrepancies when there really doesn't need
to be.

I mean, there are dozens of Ubuntu distros and they all use the same basic
versioning schemes.  (Maybe not a completely fair example, but still.)
 Isn't the idea with CentOS to be a method of generating a larger testing
base and interest in RHEL and it's products?  If not, that's how I've
always seen it, incorrect or not.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>
> wrote:
>

> > > 1.  Is CentOS-7.3 done yet?  Answer:  NO!
> > >
> > > And it is NOT CentOS-7.3 .. it is CentOS-7 (1611) based on RHEL-7.3
> > > Sources.  The main tree will be labeled '7.3.1611' on the mirrors
> (along
> > > side 7.0.1406 and 7.1.1503, and 7.2.1511, all of which are already
> there)
> > >

> > Obligatory objection to this version numbering scheme:
> >
> > Deviating from RHEL in such a basic way is crazy, dumb, stupid, annoying,
> > wrong, etc, etc.
> >
> > There, done.
> >

> Please, before a new flame, please read all what related with release
> numbering discussed on June 2014 thread of centos-devel mailing list:
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-June/thread.html
>
> with subject
> CentOS 7 and release numbering
>
> started here by Karanbir:
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-June/010444.html
>
> Thanks,
> Gianluca

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* *International Education*
P.O. Box 3566 ::: Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515 ::: USA
919-265-5006 office

Global learning for all.
www.viflearn.com
Find VIF on Facebook <http://facebook.com/VIFInternationalEducation> |