[CentOS] ntsysv and chkconfig update error

Fri Jul 7 08:43:50 UTC 2017
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Mark Haney wrote:

> We have a couple of CentOS 7 boxes that were built before I was hired to
> clean up the kickstart script used for C7 boxes.  We had a couple of rpm
> packages that were pre-C7 that were used and setup the old SysV Init way
> using ntsysv and chkconfig on these boxes. (I finally fixed that in the
> newer scripts.)  These are out in the field and I'm having to deal with
> them as they are.  One thing I'm having trouble with is updating them
> without this error:
>
>> Error: Package: ntsysv-1.7.2-1.el7_3.1.x86_64 (updates)
>>            Requires: chkconfig = 1.7.2-1.el7_3.1
>>            Installed: chkconfig-1.3.61-4.el7.x86_64 (@anaconda)
>>                chkconfig = 1.3.61-4.el7
>>  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>> ** Found 1 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
>> ntsysv-1.7.2-1.el7.x86_64 has missing requires of chkconfig = ('0',
>> '1.7.2', '1.el7')
>
> Now, I've verified the chkconfig v1.7.2 package is available on the
> mirror we're using, I've rebuilt the RPM database and nothing has
> worked.  I'm not even sure what the problem is at this point. Anyone
> have any ideas?

What yum command line did you use that gave the above errors?

I'm not an expert on yum, but the above errors seem to indicate that 3
versions of chkconfig are involved: 1.7.2-1.el7_3.1, 1.7.2-1.el7 and
1.3.61-4.el7 - not sure of the significance of this ...

I guess you could try removing ntsysv and then trying to update
chkconfig and then re-install ntsysv :

  yum remove ntsysv
  yum update chkconfig
  yum install ntsysv