[CentOS] bad text under KDE and C7

Pete Biggs pete at biggs.org.uk
Sun Jul 15 14:33:59 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-07-15 at 09:06 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2018, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
> > > I tried the live DVD from which I installed C7.
> >
> > I meant to use a live DVD from some other distro so that it had
> > differently compiled drivers - the idea was to eliminate (or otherwise)
> > the drivers from CentOS 7.
>
> I've been looking.
> I keep finding claims that Fedora live CD's exist,
> but not actual images.

 https://getfedora.org/

specifically

 https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/

What it actually does is to download Fedora Media Writer which when run
downloads the correct image and writes it to a memory stick.

> To be clear:
> flv and avi caused it to complain about the lack of mp4 codecs.

Yes, because MPG codecs are not license free.

> Is there something dragon or totem will play out of the box?

Probably WebM and OGG video as they are both patent/license free. If
you are looking for something try

  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Big_Buck_Bunny_Trailer_1080p.ogv

(that's an open source, royalty free movie using open codecs).

P.