[CentOS] Fixing grub/shim issue Centos 7

Fri Aug 7 13:15:07 UTC 2020
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>

Once upon a time, Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com> said:
> you are right but is not UEFI a standard and it shouldn't work the
> same on several vendors? I ask this because this patch broken all my
> uefi workstations.

The great thing about standards is there's so many to choose from!  Also
relevant: https://xkcd.com/927/

UEFI has gone through a number of revisions over the years, and has
optional bits like Secure Boot (which itself has gone through
revisions).  Almost any set of standards has undefined corners where
vendors interpret things differently.  Vendors also have bugs in weird
places sometimes.

The firmware and boot loaders arguably are the least "exercised" parts
of a system - both change rarely and there are few implementations.
There's not many combinations, and they don't change a lot.

I'm interested to read about the cause of this issue - something like
this can be a lesson on "hmm, hadn't thought of that before" type things
to watch for in other areas.
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>