[CentOS] Can't move to Centos 8

Thu May 14 13:03:28 UTC 2020
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 1:46 AM Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> --On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 8:22 PM -0400 Mauricio Tavares
> <raubvogel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 1) Have you considered moving the storage business to another host so
> > not to have a single point of failure?
> > 2) Would a $60 Raspberry Pi 4GB be a good replacement? 2 USB3 ports
> > and 1 GB ether port. My Synology storage appliance thingie is much
> > dumber than that and has not missed a beat in years.
>
> I'm using CentOS 7 and 8 for internal servers but use OpenWrt on a consumer
> router to do the fancy traffic balancing with the "cake" traffic control
> module, something the old kernel in CentOS 7 lacks.

      Funny you mentioned the OpenWrt: I have been using one as access
point and realized I not only forgot how to but cannot find info (I
remember seeing it years ago) on how to run the 2.4 and 5GHz as
separate networks. Well, I can't even get the internal dhcp to work,
having to forward all that to my bind/dhcp vm guest. Shame on me, as
if I get that working I can then think on putting a vpn between
wireless and internal networks which is something I really should be
doing.

> I'm running an email server with Dovecot IMAP, Spamassassin, and ClamAV and
> that's a bit of a load so I suspect a Pi would be underpowered for that.

     I really think it depends on the load, and only you have access
to the performance info to answer that. There are people running all
that in docker containers (I could swear I read about an "official" or
"officially blessed" postfix container in the postfix mailing list).