[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Wed Apr 28 11:26:01 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 at 04:09, Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr> wrote:

> On 28/4/2021 10:35 π.μ., Nikolaos Milas wrote:
>
> > All that, in turn, are very much dependent on community involvement
> > and project management & financing.
>
> By the way, I think that CentOS, before it was "absorbed" by Redhat,
> could/might have addressed the community for fund raising, rather than
> abandoning the project to RH, which, as others have mentioned, was an
> unmistakable sign of upcoming CentOS EOL as we had come to know it.

So CentOS when it was brought into Red Hat was not a company or
organization. It was much more like some sort of libertarian anarchy where
a group of people came together in an IRC channel and did what they wanted
to get an OS out. Many of these people were consultants who had daily
clients and did this as a night gig to help those clients and others but it
wasn't a single company which could accept funding. Things like the domain
name, trademark, etc were in the name of one person due to a past
historical problem.

That problem was that CentOS did once have an organization to collect
funds, but it had been mismanaged. This caused all kinds of problems with
the community and groups which had given funding  and there were legal and
tax problems due to it. In those cases, it is better to 'walk' away from
the organization as resetting it up usually triggers audits and additional
paperwork to show the people involved now are no way the same ones before.
So instead things were set up with most of the items owned by individuals.