[CentOS] CentOS Stream suitability as a production webserver

Tue Jan 5 21:59:27 UTC 2021
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 21:32:18 +0000
Jamie Burchell wrote:

> The uncertainty is frustrating and unsettling.

I certainly agree with you on this point!

Personally, while I haven't made an actual decision on which way I'm going with my own projects, I'm currently leaning toward Oracle Linux.  I installed it on a laptop a couple of days ago and what I got was exactly what I get when I install Centos on a laptop.  Even my little script to convert a stock installation into my custom setup worked as-is, and what I ended up with was exactly what I was expecting to see.

I don't have any particular love for Oracle, but since they pay X number of people to keep Oracle Linux current with RHEL and updated, they shouldn't have any problems with burn-out or a lack of long-term interest on the part of volunteers that may (or may not) become an issue over the course of time with a community-driven distribution like Rocky.

But for the moment I'm more-or-less just sitting on my hands, waiting to see how all of this shakes out over the course of the next few months before I take any action to change anything.

Frankly, I'm kind of hoping that Rocky turns out to be "the new Centos", but it seems too early in the game to make the decision to depend on it.  That may change over the course of the next few months.