[CentOS] Microsoft Teams on CentOS 7. Does the latest version work?

Fri Jul 16 08:41:23 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On 15/07/2021 12:57, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>>> Like I said elsewhere, it turns out that it's a little more complicated
>>> than that. The libraries are actually "provided", but they're not on
>>> the
>>> library path.
>>>
>> That isn't provided..
>
> It's quite definitely provided. I'm mean in the rpm/package install
> context, of course, which is what we were discussing.
>
> The libraries/abi versions are also provided in the sense that the
> actually exist on my system, event though teams can't find them right now.
>
>>   that is a private copy that chrome bundles
>> itself to use. It may or may not have all of the library calls in it
>> (the chrome upstream may only turn on things it knows it wants), and
>> it may have changes which the team doesn't expect.
>
> I think you're missing my point. The teams install works because the
> package *claims* that it provides everything teams wants (besides what's
> in the "normal" system libs.) Whether it works or not is a different
> question.
>
> It most likely will, though, if I set up the necessary LD_PRELOAD etc.
> (haven't been able to try because I needed to have a Teams version i
> *knew* worked.)  It's unlikely that there are "changes which the team
> doesn't expect"; I'm reasonably sure this is a straight
> rebuild/repackaging of newer upstream "libstdc++". It's also not an
> integral part of Chrome, but rather a package someone related to the
> Fedora team made to allow a certain "upstream" versions of chrome to
> work on a certain "downstream" OS release.
>

>> Also teams is looking for `rpm -q --whatprovides
>> 'libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.20)(64bit)'` and you typed
>> `rpm -q --whatprovides 'libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.22)(64bit)'`
>
> No, it looks for several different "libstdc++.so.6" versions, and the
> "chrome" package provides them all. I just listed one of them to
> illustrate the point.

I'm not sure that's true. You said your chrome package provides it all but
from what I see, it installs its libs into /opt/google/chrome/lib. But,
your system doesn't know about private libs installed in /opt and I think
the chrome package should NOT "provide" its private libs in its RPM
packages.

IMHO, if it's like that, then the chrome packages are crap :-)

What happens if you try this:

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/google/chrome/lib
$ teams....

Or maybe even add

$ export LD_PRELOAD=/opt/google/chrome/lib/libstdc++.so.6

Regards,
Simon