[CentOS] Bare metal vs. virtualization: Proxmox + Ceph + CentOS ?

Sun Mar 14 13:35:39 UTC 2021
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

How many extra servers can you add to your setup? If I were in your
shoes, I would consider building a file server/NAS with fast
connection to your server(s). Then share the data to your services to
the server (NFS?), export the disk (iscsi) or some combination of
both. I hope someone can correct me but I think postfix has issues
with use accounts in NFS partitions.

Next step is building your web/mail/etc servers -- be them as VMs or
as all in the same baremetal -- as thin as possible so you can recover
that quickly (ansible?), mount data fileshares, and off you go. If you
are going the vm route you could ether save snapshots or build one of
those setups with two servers so in case one goes boink the other
takes over. This is also good for upgrading one of the VM servers: do
them on different days so you can see if there are problems.

If you cannot have more than one server, do run VMs and then put them
in a second set of disks so something happens to boot disk you can
recover.